Educational Visits - Planning and leading residential visits
Staff involved in the organisation and leadership of residential visits
Outline of event:
These twilight (16.00-18.00) courses have been introduced to help teachers/youth leaders organise successful and safe residential visits. The courses are based in a residential accommodation setting to help visit leaders to consider many of the practical issues involved when selecting and using residential accommodation. Staff will be trained to identify potential hazards and to make sensible judgements regarding risk management and group leadership in a residential context.
The course will also consider the LA's policies and procedures relating to residential visits, and will demonstrate how to complete risk assessment forms and submit visit proposals for approval.
For schools/academies which have bought in to the Educational Visits and Outdoor Learning SLA the charge will be £12pp.
For schools/academies which have not bought in to the Educational Visits and Outdoor Learning SLA the charge will be £50pp.
Feedback from previous course participants-
"Excellent - one of the most valuable inset courses I have attended"
"I thought the course was very comprehensive, it looked at all the different types of residential venues and made you think about what you need to look for bearing in mind the type of group you would be taking.I dont think there is anything else that could be added"
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
By the end of the course, participants should be aware of:
* the potential benefits and risks associated with residential visits
* the roles and responsibilities of Visit Leaders on residential visits
* what to look for and beware of when choosing a suitable venue
* an understanding of the different forms of accreditation
* what information and assurances are needed before booking
* how to identify and manage risks reasonably and proportionately in a residential context
* how to carry out risk assessments, and how to use ROVER online for the recording and approval of residential visits
* how to make the most of the potential learning opportunities associated with residential experiences
* how to access further support and advice
Planned outcomes for the school include-
* increased competence and confidence amongst staff to lead residential visits safely and provide quality learning experiences
* an increase in the number of residential visits and opportunities offered to pupils/young people.
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Please bring any relevant information about residential venues that have been used previously, or about venues that are being considered for future use.
Please see the Educational Visits webpage on www.eriding.net
item code ~ event 152
Event Facilitator: Taff Bowles