Making Big Impacts through Small Changes in Mathematics - Andrew Jeffrey
Mathematics Subject Leaders, Headteachers, SLT
Outline of event:
An exciting event supported by Oxford University Press which brings Andrew Jeffrey to you.
About Andrew Jeffrey :-
He taught for over 25 years, and has been a teacher, school leader, inspector, lecturer, author and consultant. His passion for helping children learn, love and understand the patterns and structures of mathematics along with understanding why some children find mathematics so hard has led him to become an international conference speaker and teacher trainer. Andrew is also a magician and loves magic tricks with mathematical secrets!
You are bound to learn, have fun and be entertained!
During the day we will consider how to make big impacts through small changes in the teaching of mathematics, looking at:
• What does effective mastery look like in mathematics, and how can this be based on Bruner’s and Dienes’ research?
• Concrete, Pictorial to Abstract: tasks to help children understand the concepts behind what they are asked to do, to ensure that all children are successful in mathematics.
• How to leverage the powerful aims of the 2014 National Curriculum to support Mastery.
• Problem solving, including a deep understanding of Bar Modelling as used in Singapore.
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
As a result of this event delegates will:
* disseminate exciting and appropriate information relating to their subject area in school
* lead school development work
* support teachers in developing effective teaching and learning
* identify strategies to raise pupil attainment within their subject
* engage staff in creative teaching and learning opportunities
* track and analyse data to identify gaps in attainment and raise standards
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Delegates will be notified of any pre-reading or materials required for this event, either by email or the confirmation of their attendance letter.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU OBTAIN THIS FROM THE PERSON DESIGNATED TO BOOK YOUR CPD.
CPD materials, website links and other information will be circulated through a subject specific group email.
Duration: this is a full day event
professional or governor standards:
1c 2a 3a 3b 6a
item code ~ event 84
Event Facilitator: Mandy Gravil