Improving Outcomes for Disadvantaged Pupils - What does it mean for governors?
Governors (Primary and Secondary)
Outline of event:
Following the introduction of the 'ASPIRE Charter' East Riding schools have committed to address the barriers to learning that financial disadvantage can bring and the effect that it can have on the attainment of each individual disadvantaged pupil. This event is specifically focused on increasing governors' awareness of their role in supporting and challenging schools in order to improve the outcomes of disadvantaged pupils. This is particularly relevant at this time as the current Ofsted Framework increases the inspection emphasis on tracking the progress of the disadvantaged; accounting for the effective use of the pupil premium and evaluating the role played by leaders within the school, in terms of securing improved outcomes for disadvantaged pupils.
This course addresses the 'Knowledge' and 'Skills' requirements as outlined in the Governor Competency Framework:
1A - Setting direction - Everyone on the board
* key themes of national education policy and the local education content
* thinks strategically and contributes to the development of the organisations strategy
1C - Decision making - Everyone on the board
* puts aside vested or personal interests to make decisions that are in the best interests of all pupils/students
2A - Educational Improvement - Everyone on the board
* the importance and impact of high-quality teaching to improve outcomes and the systems, techniques and strategies used to measure teaching quality, pupils progress and attainment
2D - Financial management and monitoring - Everyone on the board
* how the organisation receives funding through the pupil premium and other grants e.g. primary sport funding, how these are spent and how spending has an impact on pupil outcomes
5A - Statutory and contractual requirements - Everyone on the board
* the Ofsted inspection/regulatory framework
6B - Managing and developing the boards effectiveness - Everyone on the board
* evaluates the impact of the boards decisions on pupil/student outcomes
This event will take place at County Hall, 6.30pm to 9.00pm.
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
As a result of this event, governors will:
* Be able to explain the expectations for schools to improve outcomes for disadvantaged pupils, including the role of governors in the Ofsted Framework.
* Be aware of the current local and national context, including research, guidance, strategies for improvement and support that is available.
* Understand the common barriers to learning for disadvantaged pupils.
* Recognise and be aware of best practice and strategies that have been used to effectively to improve outcomes for disadvantaged pupils.
* Be confident about asking challenging questions regarding provision for disadvantaged pupils and the use of the Pupil Premium Grant.
* Understand the importance of evaluating the impact of all actions taken to ensure that resources are being used to maximise impact.
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Governors may wish to familiarise themselves with the latest Aspire Booklet
item code ~ event 47
Event Facilitator: Lisa Devine