Promoting British Values in your school (for teachers)
Senior Leaders and teachers and other staff of maintained schools (Primary and Secondary )who are responsible for curriculum matters
Outline of event:
* All maintained schools must meet the requirements set out in section 78 of the Education Act 2002 and promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of their pupils. Through ensuring pupils' SMSC development, schools can also demonstrate they are actively promoting fundamental British values.
This course aims to explore how this can be addressed in school.
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
* Schools should promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. This can help schools to demonstrate how they are meeting the requirements of section 78 of the Education Act 2002, in their provision of SMSC.
* Actively promoting the values means challenging opinions or behaviours in school that are contrary to fundamental British values.
* The Teachers' Standards expect teachers to uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school. This includes not undermining fundamental British values.
* This course aims to address each of these points and will consider the findings from school inspection reports across 2015-2017.
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Delegates will be advised prior to the event if there is a requirement for pre-preparation.
To be given on the day.
Duration: this is a half day AM event
professional or governor standards:
2a 2b 3b 4a 4d 4e 5d 8d
item code ~ event 18
Event Facilitator: Michelle Coates