Promoting British Values and the 'Prevent Agenda' in your school for governors
Governors (Primary and Secondary)
Outline of event:
* All maintained schools must meet the requirements set out in section 78 of the Education Act 2002 and promote the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of their pupils. Through ensuring pupils' SMSC development, schools can also demonstrate they are actively promoting fundamental British values.
This course aims to explore how this can be addressed in school.
This course addresses the 'Knowledge' requirement as outlined in the Governor Competency Framework:
2A - Educational Improvement - Someone on the board having the knowledge of the requirements relating to the safeguarding of children in education including Prevent.
This course will run from 19:00 to 21:00
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
* Schools should promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. This can help schools to demonstrate how they are meeting the requirements of section 78 of the Education Act 2002, in their provision of SMSC.
* Actively promoting the values means challenging opinions or behaviours in school that are contrary to fundamental British values.
* The Teachers' Standards expect teachers to uphold public trust in the profession and maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school. This includes not undermining fundamental British values.
* This course aims to address each of these points.
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Delegates will be notified prior to the event if there is any preparation work to do.
To be handed out on the day.
professional or governor standards:
2a 2b 3b 4a 4d 4e 5d 8d
item code ~ event 15
Event Facilitator: Michelle Coates