Secondary Science Subject Leader Development Meeting
Science subject leaders and those aspiring to the role. Teachers with responsibility for some aspect of the subject
Outline of event:
Leading core subjects presents a range of ongoing challenges including promoting effective teaching and learning, successfully managing a team of people and developing efficient and sustainable administrative procedures.
This course aims to ensure those with responsibility within science departments are fully up to date with the latest pedagogical developments, with contemporary research and with the current local and national picture of the subject.
Meetings will be interactive and offer practical ideas for use in the classroom and in wider aspects of the leadership role. They will also provide a forum for sharing and networking good practice.
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
Attendance at the events will support and enable participants to:
* understand current local and national issues in science
* analyse internal and external data to understand local and national standards, to determine areas for improvement and intervention
* appraise their own subject leadership skills to identify areas for action that will impact on personal and staff development and, subsequently, pupil progress
* share successful pedagogy and effective practice across the LA and within their departments, selecting appropriate improvements to be implemented in the classroom
* evaluate the impact of any actions and developments in the context of their own school and in relation to pupil progress
* self-evaluate their department based on the judgments within the new OfSTED criteria. (achievement of pupils, the quality of teaching, the quality of leadership and management, behaviour and safety of pupils)
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Delegates will be notified of any pre-reading or resources required for the course.
These will be made available to all delegates
Duration: this is a full day event
professional or governor standards:
2a 2b 3b 4a 4d 4e 5d 8d
item code ~ event 13
Event Facilitator: Mandy Hodgskinson