Teaching Writing : A Pathway to Success - James Clements
Subject Leaders, Headteachers, School Leadership Group
Outline of event:
Following the extremely successful previous reading day in 2016, we are fortunate to again bring the highly acclaimed James Clements. The focus for this day will be writing across the primary phase.
About James Clements:-
James works as an independent English adviser, supporting schools and local authorities across the country to develop the teaching of reading, writing and drama. He is the founder of Shakespeare and More.com, a not-for-profit organisation that supports the teaching of English in primary schools. He was consulted on the 2014 National Curriculum for English and is part of the DfE’s English Expert Subject Group.
Previously, James worked for ten years as a senior leader at an outstanding inner-city primary school. He was also a local authority Lead Teacher, leading training and supporting teaching and learning across a network of schools.
The comprehensive day of professional development to consider how we teach writing will look in detail at:
- How we can build a culture of writing in our schools·
- How to create a rich and motivating curriculum for writing
- How to structure writing lessons across the primary phase so every
child achieves well·
- Effective, practical strategies for teaching writing
This event is brought to you in conjunction with Oxford University Press.
Learning and Teaching Outcomes:
As a result of this event delegates will:
* disseminate exciting and appropriate information relating to their subject area in school
* lead school development work
* support teachers in developing effective teaching and learning
* engage staff in creative teaching and learning opportunities which use effective and practical strategies for teaching writing
* track and analyse data to identify gaps in attainment and raise standards
* demonstrate how they can build a culture of writing in their school
* create a rich and motivating curriculum for writing
* show how to structure writing lessons across the primary phase so
that every child achieves well
We expect that all CPD will involve integral evaluation processes
Any preparation required will be detailed in the course acceptance letter.
CPD materials, website links and other information will be circulated through a subject specific group email.
Duration: this is a full day event
professional or governor standards:
1b 2d 3a 4d 4e 6c
item code ~ event 100
Event Facilitator: Mandy Gravil